Old 06-13-21, 08:32 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by Papa Tom
You've probably read this before (and you probably don't want to hear it if your mind is set on a multi-tool), but I have found that carrying the few individual tools I need works out much better than lugging around a heavy multi-tool with a bunch of components that don't work well and/or aren't needed for my bike. The chain tool component of most multi-tools is usually not very good and nor are the tire levers. For me, having all those Allen wrenches attached to a fat handle makes them really hard to maneuver in tight spaces on the bike.

I carry a small chain tool, small Phillips and flat screwdrivers, a tire lever, and just the (loose) Allen wrenches I need.
Papa Tom took the words right out of my mouth. Multi-Tools suck. Try installing a bottle cage with a multitool and you will see what we mean. I carry a small screwdriver and the few hex L-wrenches I need a Park Mini Chain Brute, a Rema patch kit and a couple of tire levers. rolled up into a towel to keep them quiet and to wipe my hands and face. The Park MT-1 is kind of OK but some of the hex drivers are at inconvenient angles, for me.