View Single Post
Old 07-13-21, 01:18 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4233 Post(s)
Liked 2,948 Times in 1,807 Posts
How often is too often?

How often is too often to call a bike shop to check on the status of your repairs? I got hit by a car and my bike (and back) got pretty messed up 2 months ago.

About a month ago, I bought a used frameset that I thought was a good deal to do a parts bin build while I waited for the driver's insurance to make me right (still waiting, eventually had to get lawyers involved). The frameset had a BB in it that I couldn't use, but I was like, "oh well, whatever, I'll just pull it and throw it in the bin in case I have have an octalink crankset I want to use."

It turns out, I couldn't get the BB out (alloy driveside cup seized to Ti frame shell threads). That sucks, but the frameset was a good enough deal to me that I figured I could take it to a shop and, as long as it wasn't more than $1-200 to pull the BB, I'd still think I got an OK deal. (It wasn't really a great deal, but was a frameset I'd really wanted in a hard to find size - 64x62.)

I dropped it off at the shop, told them it was pretty stuck and I couldn't get it off with a 16" pipe wrench on my BB tool after soaking for 3 days in PB Blaster, (and, oh yeah, it's italian threaded, so it comes off the opposite way you're used to).

They asked if I needed it right then, or if I could leave it a couple days. I told them, sure, my back wasn't fit to ride, so a few days is fine.

That evening, the mechanic called me, and said it was really stuck and asked if I wanted the BB back or if he could use a more destructive method to get it off. I said, I have no use for an octalink BB, so do what you've gotta do.

A week later, I got a message from him, asking me to call him back that night before they closed if possible. I didn't get the message until the next day and they said that mechanic would be gone on vacation for a week.

I called when he got back (2 weeks after dropping it off), but he didn't remember asking me to call him before he left. He re-iterated that he was going to have to tap the BB cartridge out and then cut the cup with a dremel to get it out. He said, we should have you up and running in a couple days.

That was 2 weeks ago, and I haven't heard since (4 weeks since dropping it off). Is it nagging if I call to check in to see where I am in the queue? I get that shops get really busy in the summer and I don't seem like I'm constantly complaining or something. If it's just far down on their list of priorities, I guess that is what it is; I'd just sort of like to get a realistic expectation of when I can get it back (or if it's going to be possible). Not sure if everything from them is really 4 weeks out, or if this mechanic started it, so it stayed with him to work on even though he went on vacation (the other mechanics didn't know the status of it when I tried to return his message) and it's just somehow got on his backburner or what.