View Single Post
Old 07-13-21, 05:26 PM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4234 Post(s)
Liked 2,949 Times in 1,808 Posts
Originally Posted by Metieval
I have a local shop "superb mech", he also knows I wrench my own stuff. Yet I throw him bones, and I also throw him stuff I am 'not into doing'.
He knows I ripped apart my bb30, cleaned lubed and put it back together on my al synapse frame, because I put it together better than factory and front derailleur was out whack. So paid him to adjust.

Fast forward for the super six with hollowgram blah.... I didnt even mess with it. I just took it to him straight away.
He started dragging feet....

Long story short , something I had said. Or my tone, or how I said it put him on edge. As in I tried, I screwed it up, I dropped it off to make him responsible for it. Regardless I stoppedvin for coffee next door, then talked to him. Assured him I never touched it. Just factory dry and creaking.
Next day he had it done.

Point being, I can see a shop dragging feet on certain jobs if they think they will be out the money for frame damage. some are barely scraping by as is, let alone being out frame cost on a $20 job.

Risk vs reward....

I really have no idea your /shop situation.

I'd just advise dropping in, in person.
Honestly, if the frame is screwed, I'm not even sure I'd put it on them. If the 2 different metals seized together and can't be gotten apart, that's on the previous owner for putting the BB in without putting any grease down (the non-drive side threads looked super clean when I pulled them) and on me for buying a frame on eBay without checking on that sort of thing. That and, if he tried to loosen it but didn't realize it was Italian thread and over-tightened it instead, that's also on him (and on me again). I tried to make it clear when I dropped it off that I'd screwed up by buying a frame that I didn't fully know the condition of, but the guy I talked to wasn't the guy who is working on it. So yeah, I totally get your point. PITA job with high risk and low-ish reward (he already cleared with me on his first phone call when he realized that a long cheater bar wasn't going to work that the $40 I was quoted was going to be more like $100-ish, but still that's not a high amount of money for that risk) means low motivation/priority to get it done.
Likes For himespau: