Old 07-24-21, 12:45 AM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1181 Post(s)
Liked 2,576 Times in 1,076 Posts
Here's mine:

OK not really. But not all that far off either.

I painted one tandem at Santana, early days before they'd sold their first bike. Before they had gotten around to building their real spray booth. The frame was just a testing prototype, not for a customer. All I had was 4 thin plastic drpopcloths hung from the ceiling to make a square space. Was there any air exchange at all? I don't remember, but probably not. It was an extremely dusty old warehouse — condemned in fact, not fit to have humans in it (I'm not joking, I mean legally). Any fan we might have jury-rigged would have put even more dust into the air inside the "booth", so I think the plan was to hold your breath and paint the frame really fast, then run out of there.

That evening I blew my nose and found metallic blue snot on the kleenex. Imron — very toxic. Something about isocyanates? I'm no expert, but I know (now) you should never breathe even a whiff of that stuff. Full suit and air-supply respirator to even be in the room when the lid is off the can. From what I hear, almost no one uses it anymore outside of heavy industry, big trucks maybe?

Mark B.