View Single Post
Old 10-17-17, 08:49 PM
Godsight

Bikes: Felt TK FRD

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Square axle and octalink cranks have a bb spindle that is less than 24mm in diameter. The spindle diameter helps with non-drive side stiffness. This Road bike cranks test might be useful for some to understand crank stiffness and which factor can affect stiffness.

So cranks like the:
Sram Omnium 24/22mm spindle
Sugino SG75DD 24/22mm spindle
Rotor 3D Track 24mm spindle
Ridea Track 24mm spindle
Miche Pistard 2.0 & Air 24mm spindle
Vision NS track 30mm spindle

Should have more non-drive side stiffness than your usual suare axle/octalink crank.

My cons on the newer cranks

Sram Omnium: apart from the fact that you need to use longer chainring bolts but still able to use knurled chainring nuts, I also don't like the stepped 24/22mm spindle that Sram and Sugino uses that limits your choice of outboards bottom bracket.

Sugino SG75DD: the stepped 24/22mm spindle that limits your bottom bracket selections and also it's price in Canada (around 750$)

Rotor 3D track: the q-factor is a bit wider than most other track crank and you can only use Rotor track bottom bracket. No other bottom bracket is supposed to fit as the outboard cups are thinner than others BB.

Ridea Track crank: nearest online dealer is Brick Lane Bike in the UK and there is no North America distributor but atleast every specs of the crank is standard.

Miche Pistard 2.0/Air: hidden fifth bolt

Vision NS Track: 30mm spindle means smaller bearing in the outboard cups.Edit: Rustymongrel corrected me and BSA bottom bracket cups for 386 cranks like the vision have bigger bearing that use the same size of bearing balls as 24mm bottom bracket. And bearing 6806 that are used in 386 BB cups are rather common in bike shop since they are also used in other bike parts (hubs, suspension pivot) Otherwise it's my favourite crank of all the newer 24mm+ spindle crankset. Only the graphic design irritates my ocd a little as only Vision chainring would fit the graphic of the crank spider.

Last edited by Godsight; 10-18-17 at 04:25 PM.