Old 03-15-21, 01:24 PM
franswa

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 251 Times in 105 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
Thanks for this suggestion. I did eventually try the same step without adding sealant first, and same result (but less mess). I also tried inflating with the valve cores in place and couldn't get the bead to seat.
I did inflate with tubes and let them sit overnight at pressure, and just now deflated one of them and it stayed seated, so maybe I can pop one side off to remove the tube and get it back on and try again.

The tires were a bit difficult to get on the wheels, but not impossible. They certainly went on easier than the GP5K's I did last summer, but required more effort than a standard clincher. I'll check out this stripper product. These wheels came stock as "tubeless ready" with tape installed, and I've never done anything with them. I am suspecting that at least one of them needs a new tape job though.

Thanks. I will try first without sealant in the future to at least avoid the mess. I agree that the tire wasn't truly seated, and is why it was sliding back off. I was maxing out my Airshot at 160psi and dumping straight into the tire with no valve core. To get any more air flow/pressure I'd need a compressor. At that point I may as well just have a shop do it, which starts to make tubeless unrealistic for me.

Have you tried this with CX/gravel/road tires? Seeing him pop that MTB tire onto the wheel without any tools makes me think this probably isn't going to work for me. I had to use multiple levers simultaneously to get that last bit of tire bead over the wheel. The CX tires I'm using are not as tight as the GP5K's I took off, but I'm still skeptical that I could get a lever under the bead and pull it out towards the edge the way he's showing. He's also struggling a bit on the second side, even with that loose MTB tire.

Still, thanks for sharing. I'll give it a try.

Yep, that's the only sort of tires I have set up and once mounted, the manual seating of the bead was far easier for me than getting the tire installed. Hopefully it's the same for you, if you do end up trying this. Also, I didn't go as far as he did with the seating on each side, as it really does get pretty difficult the farther you go, but still worked really well for me.