View Single Post
Old 08-18-22, 09:58 AM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,098 Times in 3,833 Posts
Just got back from 4 days in Eugene, OR with my daughter for her orientation ("IntroDUCKtion") at University of Oregon. They move in on 9/23, and classes start on 9/27, about a month later than most of her friends (quarter system vs. semester system). This was our 4th trip to Eugene, and we always really enjoy it. Being that my daughter's dorm building is a little off campus, one of the questions has been about having a car. Advice we've gotten has been split. Some have said a car is unnecessary. Some have said it's a helpful convenience. We decided to provide a car for her.

She has also told me that she would like to have a bike - new project!! I have a late-90s Bianchi road frame that is the right size for her that I will build into a townie bike. Eugene is pretty flat, so a 1x7 (or 1x8, depending on what parts I have) should be plenty. Shifting will be either 7sp Grip Shift or 8sp Shimano XT triggers. A big question is tires. There's plenty of room in the back for 28s, maybe wider. However, it currently has a carbon fork built for a race bike, and has very little clearance. I might need to find a fork with a little more space. Being that it's the PNW, fenders might also be a good idea.