Old 08-31-22, 09:18 PM
AngryFrankie

Bikes: Trek 400 Elance, Losa Winner, 1994 Schwinn Paramount, Specialized Tarmac Pro, Miele SLX, Ibis Ripley, Colnago Oval CX, 84 Masi GC, 1986 Schwinn Voyageur, 1988 Schwinn Tempo, 1998 Schwinn Peloton, 1991 Paramount Ser3

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 150 Post(s)
Liked 90 Times in 55 Posts
Originally Posted by Reynolds 531
This is a question that only BF-CV can answer.

Allow me to indulge myself with an explanation:
Like many on this forum, I finally decided to buy the bikes I could not afford when I was younger. Quite obviously Colnago with Campagnolo, Masi, deRosa, etc. etc. all with Campagnolo. .....Then one day, I bought a mid-level Japanese bike with Suntour components, and I was ==shocked== at how good it is.

Therefore, because the summation of bicycles (N+1) approaches, but never actually reaches infinity, I have decided to buy another Japanese bike.

Which brings about the aforementioned request:
What are the boutique, with matching quality, Japanese brands? (I consider 3 Rensho to be a copy of European, but am willing to be corrected )

At one time I had a Nishiki International, with Suntour bar end shifters, that was incredibly high quality. What else is out there? Reading threads here I have been fascinated by some of the Suntour products, moreso than Shimano. (especially Suntour Ole)

So what is cool? I know you know!
I do think you're wrong about 3Rensho BTW. It's a well know story that YK took apart Cinelli frames to learn how they were built, but he did some extremely radical frame designs of his own. But anyway, a couple of your posters pointed out that, at the high end of the lines, some of the big Japanese manufacturers really did some great bikes. Fuji Teams, Centurion Turbos, etc.... Great idea for a thread!