Old 12-11-17, 09:28 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by nickw
My point was…you can’t have your cake and eat it too. You want a light tubeless tire, they are going to be more vulnerable to rocks PARTICULARLY on a touring bike on an unimproved road. I can’t speak for 18 months from now, but technology as it exists today doesn’t support the notion you can have both.

You must be riding bigger tires than the 25c’s tubulars you are comparing against, the G-1 don’t come in that size as far as I am aware.

I rarely get flats on my high end Vittoria clinchers with tubes either. Actually, I had 0 flats last summer, riding in the city, racing and training…go figure. They feel just as good as any tubular out there.

And no, never carry an extra tire with me on tour – do you?
Yes I do carry an extra tire and this one will be easier than most since it’s fairly light. Just paranoid, I guess although I’ve never needed them. I’ve done this when I toured with tubed clinchers too.

Apparently you didn’t take the time to look up the specs on the tire but it comes in a 30c version for gravel etc. Your information is old and I believe Schwalbe changed around a lot of their naming nomenclature. They’ve proven for me to be pretty reliable on a lot of gravel as well as pavement but YMMV (bad joke). And they’re also fast. Try them and see what you think. My bet is you’ll be surprised at how good they are too.

For the record, when I tour it’s with my wife and we each carry about 20 lbs each including camping gear - fast and light. So the extra tire is neither a space nor a weight issue. But thanks for your concern.

You really ought to check them out, pretty interesting tire. Enjoy your heavy clinchers with tubes.

J.