Old 12-12-17, 03:31 PM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 245 Times in 181 Posts
Originally Posted by nickw
Yup - very familiar with Schwalbes, been running them for multiple years, you were comparing them to your 25c tubulars, that's what I was pointing out...they don't make them in 25c.

If you stick to the buffed routes you'll likely be fine with those tires. Offroad / gravel / unimproved touring is going to overwhelm them quickly. Who said my tires were heavy? Not me. Besides, heavy tires/wheels don't necessarily roll slower, but you know that...

If you truly want a performance tubeless tire that is going to be another notch over those those G1's and it sounds like you put a lot of focus on tire weight, I'd recommend you look into these at a minimum:

https://www.compasscycle.com/shop/co...-bon-jon-pass/

Lighter, bigger volume and can run much lower pressure than the G1's. You may be stuck with a 30c size due to frame clearance, but most touring / CX bikes can swing tires in the upper 30's. I'd recommend looking into a larger volume tire, but it sounds like your miles DO vary
Thanks for the link. Interesting tires. Going to see lots more innovation in tires for tubeless in the coming months and years.

I have run the G-1 speeds over a considerable amount of gravel without a problem. But, I get it, this discussion is no different from any other tire debate - someone thinks they are great. Someone thinks they were the tire invented by the devil. It's almost as bad as bike seats. That said, I haven't had any trouble and the performance has been great, so I'm going to stick with them. For my application and for my use, they are right up there and I like them a lot.

What is more interesting to me though is the performance I get in the avoidance of flats. Going from clinchers to tubulars, one of the big benefits for me was an almost complete elimination of flats. Going from 6-8 per season down to 0-1 is outstanding, from my perspective. It's hardly possible to improve on that record. So far, using the tubeless clincher set up I'm using, I'm in the same ballpark. For that reason alone, I am never going back to tubes. Living where I do, there is a special hell in changing a tire on a hot day with no wind in a swarm of mosquitoes. No desire to go back to that again.

J.