View Single Post
Old 05-05-20, 07:11 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by Bryan C.
Finally going to convert my Diverge gravel bike over to GRX Di2. The parts have all been ordered but I'm curious as to how helpful climbing or remote shifters would be.

Is it worth the $100 price tag to install a remote shifter? I'm not sure I even need it but since I'm still in the ordering phase of the project I thought it would be worth looking into.

I think the Dura Ace SW-R9150 remote shifters are the better option. The problem is since I plan to use the bar end junction I think I will have only 1 open port on the left shifter assy so I can't use them. Or can I?

The only other available option I can find is the Shimano SW-600 climbing shifter Currently discontinued by Shimano but still available at select retailers.

Since it is my gravel bike I'm more inclined to ride with my hands on the hoods, but while climbing it is always nice to use the tops for a change of hand position.

Are they useful for the average rider? Are they worth the extra expense for something that may not be as useful as I have imagined?
Changing hand position is nice while climbing, so just move your hand back to the hood when you need to shift.