Old 06-03-21, 12:59 PM
StarBiker

Bikes: Bianchi Grizzly, Cannondale F700,

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 807 Post(s)
Liked 154 Times in 123 Posts
Originally Posted by jdhutz
Hi everyone, new to the forum, excited to be here! Looking for some input on selecting a touring bike. I’m looking to do some smaller trips soon, hopefully leading up to riding the TransAmerica Trail in 2022 or 2023. I would hope that the next bike can be the only bike I’ll need to buy leading up to the cross country trip.

I currently have access to 2 budget bikes: a Trek 7.1 FX and a Giant Escape 3. I’m planning on testing out the Escape 3 soon on a short trip, but I’m concerned that neither of these bikes will be up to snuff for what I’ll be wanting to do in the future (fairly loaded, multi-day touring). With the absolute desert that is the bike market in 2021, what do you think the best option is? My budget for a new bike that will last is as high as $1300, but the options are scarce right now.

I can’t post links yet, but there is an older Trek 520 for sale in my area for $650. The bike appears to be in good condition. Would something like this be a feasible bike for a few years of heavy touring?
My buddy just gave me one of these. To big so it will go.

A Trek 520 is an excellent bike, and clean $650 isn't to bad as long as it fits. Price depends on model year.

I had one that again was to big that I flipped a decade ago with a tru temper frame.

I had a Multi Trak 750 that like an idiot I sold. That bike supposedly shares the same frame geometry as the 520. Both bikes were 1991 model years. The 750 was mint.......

Shame you weren't shopping early in the pandemic. REI had some bikes in your price range but that ship has sailed.

I would take a serious look at the 520 first.

Last edited by StarBiker; 06-03-21 at 01:03 PM.