Thread: 65-85+ Thread
View Single Post
Old 09-16-21, 05:08 PM
jppe
Let's do a Century

Bikes: Cervelo R3 Disc, Pinarello Prince/Campy SR; Cervelo R3/Sram Red; Trek 5900/Duraace, Lynskey GR260 Ultegra

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 651 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 408 Posts
Originally Posted by jppe
I’m wondering if my years are starting to show. After riding 3-100 milers on a lightly packed bike in 3 days in June, I’ve not really ridden that much. Nothing to really train for and it’s been hot. Plus there’s been a lot going on with family stuff. I went from riding 200 miles/week to 50 maybe.

I’m signed up for Cycle NC which starts the first week of October. It’s a 7 day ride with about 65-70 miles per day. In past years I never did any special rides to prepare. My average rides were 60+ miles anyway so Cycle NC was actually pretty easy.

This weekend I thought it might be smart to ride a little more to get ready. I rode 62 miles and it totally trashed me. It was so bad it made me think that if this is the new me my riding days might be numbered. A really frustrating experience. Maybe I should have started with a shorter mileage but in the past a 60 miler has been a nice ride and felt as good in the last half as the first half.

Anyway I’m going to try and increase the days on the bike and with shorter distances to see if it helps. Right now I’m concerned as if all 7 days were like the last 62 miler it would be a really miserable week.
Oh well, rode 109 miles with 4000’ of climbing today. Slower than normal but comfortable ride. Doing a two day solo self supported ride to the NC coast. Tomorrow will be 100 miles and pretty flat.