Old 10-18-22, 05:27 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by Inisfallen
But let us remember that electric bicycles (with the possible exception of the “pedal-assist bikes” are actually motorcycles, and are capable (at least where I live) of moving with the flow of automotive traffic. They don’t belong in the bike paths, and, at least here in New York City, are driving actual bicyclists out of the bike paths. It’s a real problem here.
Yes, even the most "bikes and cars must never share a lane" type of naive perspective has to admit that motorcycles don't belong in bike infrastructure.

But if you consider why, the reasons fall on a continuum - plenty of things that are legally bikes (more than a few of them human powered) can often be moving faster than other traffic, too.

And when you get right down to it, even a little kid on a pedal bike can move faster than the pedestrian-style intersections of segregated "infrastructure" are safe for.

I raise the electric devices argument not because I prioritize designing for them, but because they force self-styled "bike advocates" who are actually anti-biking to confront the reality of factors which prove that what they are calling for doesn't actually work for people making serious trips by bike - even by pedal bike.

And most definitely not by the motorized two wheel bike-form devices that are the only way most of the general public is going to consider making useful trips outside of a car.

Last edited by UniChris; 10-18-22 at 05:30 PM.