View Single Post
Old 10-14-21, 11:45 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1461 Post(s)
Liked 1,486 Times in 870 Posts
Originally Posted by gthomson
Any idea as to whether a wheel on trainer, pushing into the rear tire with the roller could impact the wheel? I had to adjust my bike and remove it from the trainer and put it back on but before I tightened the roller to the tire, I gave the wheel a good spin and it was significantly un true.

I don't remember it being that way when I put it on initially 1.5 years ago.
I've never heard of wheel on trainers causing damage to wheels. I suppose you could crank down a trainer roller so tight that it could pop a spoke or start to deform the wheel, but this seems like it would require a lot of force. Assuming you aren't going bananas with the tension I think normal pressure from the roller would be less than the impacts a wheel would encounter during typical outdoor riding.

On my wheel-on Kickr Snap, I air my 28mm tire up to 90psi (which is higher than I would ride outdoors, but still well below the listed max pressure for that tire), and then I tighten the knob on the trainer until the tire just makes contact with the roller - From there I give it two full turns. This seems to be just enough roller pressure to prevent tire slip on hard efforts. The tire does squish a bit where it contacts the roller, but no more so than what I would see when riding outdoors.
Likes For msu2001la: