Old 12-24-22, 02:35 AM
elcruxio

Bikes: 2011 Specialized crux comp, 2013 Specialized Rockhopper Pro

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 862 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 223 Posts
Originally Posted by Nyah
It was done by someone who specializes in frame repair. $150/hour. Considering that I didn't have to get it re-powdercoated to cover up any heat-damage, I am OK with the $200 cost. Asking me to pay via an internet service was lame, yes. However, he also saved me 25 miles drive x4, by picking it up and dropping it back off to my local.

This job was not possible for the LBS w/a screw-extractor (they did try). The bolt probably had to be carefully chiseled out. The threads definitely had to be cleaned up, because I'd already seen beforehand that they were knackered.

As I said previously, no, the broken-off piece is NOT rattling around and thus not a problem. It's a CrMo frame, so, how you going to get the piece out? The guy would've charged me for the time spent doing that.
That price seems reasonable for that sort of tricky repair. There's always a chance extracting a bolt totals the frame so you need to take it extra slow.

However if I'm imagining this correctly, there actually shouldn't be anything rattling inside the frame. Typically those seatstay holes use a braze on that goes through the frame tube and out the other side, so there's no connection to the inside of the frame itself. Much easier the align the brazeon when it goes through the tube.

But also if there was something inside the frame you'd hear it. So chances are there isn't.