Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Originally Posted by razorjack
sure, I read a lot.
My question was basically, should I adjust my cycling HRm to 'max cycling hr' or to my max (from running or trainer, which is ~15-18bpm higher)
and then, when I do VO2max intervals, is it enough to be in 105-120% FTP, or should I be at >=90%HRm (and then, which max, from bike or my 'max max hr')

My FTP is about 3.8W/kg (273W), I'm 41y old, I didn't do any proper training before, so everything is quite new for me
1. Use the power
2. Be wary of using the % ftp's depending on how you tested to arrive at that figure

I've never met somebody who can remotely do at 95% for an hour what they quoted as doing for 20min or from a ramp test. Tests should simply provide reliable input to setting your workout targets. Adjust a bit as necessary, either after workouts and taking notes or during a workout.

So, ftp is ftp when you've actually performed the work for the full time. Anything else is simply a number to get at the workout targets.

HR is probably only useful for like Z2 or tempo up to long steady threshold stuff. The short stuff like VO2 is just not super useful with HR. So go with the power.

Since you said that 273 was from a 20min test, and NOBODY that I've ever met can actually do 95% of their 20min test for a real deal hour..........use 92%. I got the 92% from some coaches that browse the Slowtwitch forums and they pop in little suggestions.

So, 273 x 92% x 115% is what I'd shoot for: 290w or so. Try that for a workout of 4x5min or two sets of 3x3min. After the first set(s), adjust up or down a couple watts based on how you feel about finishing up those sets. Better to cut power a hair and fail on the last set, than bail on half a workout.