Old 02-26-20, 10:39 PM
friday1970

Bikes: Optima Baron LR, '14 Nishiki Maricopa,'87 Trek 330 Elance, '89 Miyata 1400, '85 Peugeot PGN10, '04 Fuji Ace, '06 Giant Rincon, '95 Giant Allegre, '83 Trek 620, '86 Schwinn High Sierra

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 106 Posts
Which early '80's Trek is this? (Solved:83 Trek 620), updated with WIP pic

Sitting in the dark, lonely, cold snowy night outside of local bike shop was this poor, grey, small road bike. It was next to other castaways, unwanted, scared, and unloved. Seeing how small the frame was, I took pity upon it and gave it a once over, I then saw the Reynolds 531 sticker and the Trek logo on the stays. I asked the lady on the counter what miserable and undeserved fate was in its future. It was to be taken to the dumpster and trashed. She then said "You want it, take it, It's yours!". And it became adopted into my bike family.

But, what is it? I think I have it narrowed down to 1983, but it doesn't fit all the specs. The 720 uses campy dropouts and double eyelets. My dropouts are Suntour with a single eyelet. There are no holes for downtube shifters, Just a clamped on set of Suntour friction shifters. And, no eyelets in the middle of the forks either. And then there's the Sugino AT triple crankset, helicomatic 6 speed hub (ugh, I hate those), Mistral Rims, Sakae handlbars, Laprade seatpost, DiaComp G side pull brakes, and DiaComp brake levers.

At this point, I have no clue what this is. Seems like a 720, but it's missing key things. Other lesser models have double chainring cranksets. This is a triple. Help me out here.

Last edited by friday1970; 02-29-20 at 01:35 PM.