View Single Post
Old 06-20-20, 04:22 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 706 Posts
And now the tedious work begins... I quite enjoy the idea of stripping and repainting or refinishing frames but there is nothing very glamorous about the man hours needed to accomplish the task of removing the old paint first. It is satisfying to see a bare frame emerge though. From this point forward projects usually start to become expressions of creativity and not just a collections of parts.

On a previous build I experimented with sand blasting a frame at a do it yourself shop: Langley U-Blast - Do It Yourself Sandblasting in Langley, BC Canada | Langley U-Blast
The results were great! but it cost $115 that time to strip the old frame because the paint was so hard. I decided after that to at least prep strip the frame. Usually though, I just do the following:

Clean the frame of grease.
Apply Gel furniture stripper onto parts.
Scrape off the old paint.
Wire wheel with a drill to bare metal.
Sand with fine grit paper and/or 00 steel wool.
Refinish/paint.

On my last three projects I have been experimenting with Gun Blue Acid treatments to colour the bare frame before top coating. This time I swore I wanted to try a "Burnt Orange" paint job but already the bare metal is calling to me so I'm undecided at this point as to which way I will go.

Likes For Happy Feet: