Old 04-18-22, 11:14 PM
exercion

Bikes: Cannondales: Synapse 5 Carbon and F5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 34 Posts
Originally Posted by Sertsa
Thanks for asking this, as the GAP has been on my bucketlist since returning to riding. My hardtail mountain bike probably isn't the best choice, though, mostly in that it can't carry much (and I believe the tires are too large to take the train down, as they're a bit over 2" wide). My plan has been to find a hotel and parking in Pittsburgh, take an Amtrak to Cumberland, then attempt riding back to Pittsburgh in two days.
Check Hampton Inn in Pgh. I stayed there so I could catch the train back to Cumberland, but I hear if you're staying a night there, you can park your car til you get back, and it's about 5 minutes by bicycle from the train station. As to carry capacity, depends on what you want to take and how you plan to overnight. I was not camping, so I cobbled together a bag to use as a handlebar mount on my road bike, and between it and the camelback mule that was the extent of my gear.

My travel companion had to get the requisite age/milemarker photo. I'll be looking for mine tomorrow.
Likes For exercion: