Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 638 Post(s)
Liked 1,297 Times in 612 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuckk
Back In My Day:
If you had a vernier caliper and knew how to interpret oddly spaced lines into numbers, you were KING OF THE MEASURING WORLD!
Now, people sell plastic dial and digital calipers at their garage sale for a buck each.
Been in QA since 1979, when I first got into inspection most of our equipment was Vernier and only a few newer pieces were even dial. I learned to do layout by "blue and scribe it". When that company was bought out and moved I went to a job interview where the Inspection Supervisor asked me to measure something and handed me a 1 inch mic. I hooked it in my little finger and rolled it on my forearm to open it and he said "YOU'RE HIRED!" He told me I was the first candidate out of several that even knew how to hold the mic. I'm getting close to retirement now and most of our stuff is computerized, quite a transition from the "blue and scribe it" days. We still have some old vernier equipment though for very specialized jobs and there are only about 3 of us that can use it! Some of the youngsters we have in QA can' t even read a tape measure! If it isn't digital readout they done't have a clue...... it's a sad day.

Last edited by Murray Missile; 08-20-22 at 12:19 PM.
Likes For Murray Missile: