DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
I don't understand why someone would not want to pass slower riders because they were afraid of the way they would look, and then disparage and look down their nose at the same group of riders on an internet message board.

I think the latter looks worse than the former.

-Tim-
I don't ride with groups like that because I have no desire to be associated with groups like that. They're always "training" for something, perhaps this week's 6 hours of "work" is preparation for the 6 hours the following week.

And they're not slower by any stretch-- they move along at a good clip when clustered up-- but as far as my worthless opinion is concerned, not nearly fast enough to justify the cloud of attitude they exude. I got plenty of over-the-shoulder glances-- as if I were somehow occupying their space. This is typical of my experience with the weekend club rider mentality-- and this would have been an A-level group.

I never intimated I give a crap what they think. Making that pass on a group of 10+ feels to me like one-upsmanship, and I'm not in competition with anyone for anything. Better to just slow down and share the bike lane, rather than jumping out into a gap in traffic to get past a leisurely pace line.

I also never intimated that I'm any better than they are, as a cyclist or as a human being. I made no more effort to be social than they did. But I'm not keeping up any appearances. I don't like most people sight unseen. Once I see more of how people really are, I tend to like them even less.

Lastly, I'll make whatever statements about whomever whenever, and stand right behind them. There's nothing I'll say here that I won't say out loud. No persona. People are still allowed to complain, last I checked. Being off the cycle for the stop lights or stuck behind a club ride, same difference as far as I'm concerned.
Likes For DrIsotope: