Old 09-28-22, 08:27 AM
mdarnton

Bikes: nothing to brag about

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 206 Times in 116 Posts
I never read about the problem with glueless patches until last year. So now I have only glueless patches for the last 10 years or so, and zero failures.

I assume you folks have used Tenacious Tape for nylon clothing repairs? My first nylon patch didn't stick more than a week so the next one I burnished on pretty severely with the back of a spoon. A few years and washes later that one is fine. That's what I did with my sticky tire patches from the start: sand the surface to get fresh rubber, then burnish the heck out of the patch with whatever metal I had in my pocket. I did that because the first patch I put on went over a raised molding seam right next to the hole and I wanted it to be sure for the patch follow the seam tightly, and after that burnishing was just sort of in the habit I had. Since thenI haven't had a single sticky patch be a problem. I suspect that's the missing step in the instructions for both patches, nylon and rubber--ferocious burnishing to get the adhesive to really bond with the tube.