Old 10-02-22, 07:39 PM
Kdogbikes

Bikes: Gitane tdf,Schwinn 12.2,2 continentals,miyata310,univega supra soort,couple peugeots,ou8,ou10,a few mtb's and other bikes

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 148 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Mule
I mixed up some paint to fill in the chips. Since I am a cheapskate, I mixed Rustoleum White with Testors medium blue. Don't do what I do. But I would have to make a trip and spend money verses using what I have on hand. I think I did a good job mixing the paint. I tested the match on the steerer tube.

I know it is not perfect, but it is close. If I kept trying I would go too far one way or another and I was going to loose natural light. That was the mix that I used.

You may notice that you can see the darker touch up spots, particulaly on the seat tube. Perhaps the paint on the frame is lighter than the paint in the steerer tube? This is still an improvement over having chips. The picture above is after I sanded the bike to level the paint. I started with 800 grit wet sanding, then 1000, 2000 and finally 3000 grit. When using the 2000 and 3000 grit I sanded lightly over the decals and the the starburst on the fork. The starburst on the fork is a silkscreen application while the Downtube graphics and the Schwinn Quality graphic on the seat tube are water slide decals.

It may not show it in the picture, but the frame now has a dull sheen from the final 3000 grit sandpaper.

Now is when the decision have to start getting made. Do I clear coat this? I've got the tools and experience to do this with a 2K clear coat, and I have the clear coat too. Or should I just polish it and wax it? Then what is the exact plan for this bike? Restoration? Do I start searching for Hunt-Wilde Opaque Blue handle bar tape? Keep the turkey levers on it and let it sit in my garage because I mostly ride with my hands on the hoods and these "Safety Levers" get in the way? Do I do a resto-mod and put Velo Orange Postino handlebars on it? What about bullhorn handlebars? I've been itching to try a pair.

So far, I'm thinking of keeping the crank, cobbling together a 14 to 32 SunTour freewheel to make the dork disk look better, and getting a B17 saddle in black. The handlebars, I'm not so sure about yet. I rode it as shown above and wasn't impressed enough to say that I have to keep the Randonneur handlebars. The wheels are in good enough condition that I will stick with what I have, perhaps respoking with stainless spokes later. Fenders? Probably. Almost all of my bikes have fenders. They are not just for rain.

These, of course, are good problems to have.

What super sport seat junction looks like
Likes For Kdogbikes: