View Single Post
Old 06-02-22, 02:18 PM
DaveLeeNC

Bikes: 2020 Trek Emonda SL6, 90's Vintage EL-OS Steel Bianchi with 2014 Campy Chorus Upgrade

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 452 Post(s)
Liked 162 Times in 110 Posts
GhostRider62 Here is a relevant fitness story. Back in 2018 (turned 69 that year) my riding had dropped off some (25%'ish). While I did no real tests I did not sense having lost anything and I was both pleased at that and felt like it was because I had been careful to (kind of randomly) throw in some short/hard efforts on most rides.

Then there was a 3-4 week period where personal circumstances dropped my riding down to once or twice a week. When I came back I found my fitness had fallen at least 25% (based on power). "Recovery level" power output was suddenly more like moderate to hard effort. I was pretty shocked (and I never got all that back).

Carbonfiberboy I don't have a good 'hanging contraption' but I do have access to the underside of an open stairway where I can kind of hang. I did not even get my feet off the ground and the feedback that my body was supplying was "do not do this!!!!". From what I understand position pain in rotator cuff issues often starts mid-range'. In my case it starts pretty late in a range of motion exercise. I can lift my left arm up to or slightly above vertical - MUCH harder to get higher than that. The medical best guess (all that I have right now) is primarily an arthritis problem.

I have arthritis in my wrists (just like pretty much every other joint that has been x-rayed lately). A couple years ago I was having real problems shifting (RD) toward the end of rides. (Expecting nothing) I replaced my cheap riding gloves with the best padded gloves my LBS had. Instant solution - I was shocked and I assume the issue was vibration. Clearly that won't solve the shoulder/riding issue (which I also believe to be a vibration thing) as I still use high quality gloves. But today I rigged up extra padding using foam water pipe insulation stuff. I am optimistic that this will be significantly helpful given the results of the first ride using that stuff earlier today.

Regarding diagnostic resources I believe that in most cases it is test resources rather than physician time driving that (plus what insurance will and will not cover). I have spinal stenosis and we still don't know (even after an MRI) whether it is the central cavity stenosis, the foraminal stenosis, or my forminal cyst causing the problem. Given that nobody that I have talked to thinks that surgery in my case is a good idea given that the symptoms right now are manageable, there is actually no reason to spend a bunch more testing time/resources to ferret that out.

dave
Likes For DaveLeeNC: