Old 06-30-22, 06:46 PM
jigokudani

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
1970s Torpado?

ewbie
Torpado is one of the elite bike-building companies in Italy and I’m selling a model that dates back to the mid-1970s, an oldie but goodie. I’ve owned it since 1979 and ridden it perhaps a total of 100 miles during that time. Recently maintained/lubed by The Missing Link in Berkeley. Riding it feels like being on a thoroughbred…its rigid frame translates every pedal stroke into immediate forward motion.

The 24” frame was state of the art for the day, Columbus, the lightest you can possibly get in steel. All the joints are beautiful and impeccable and designed for lightness and speed. The sticker says it’s “Modello Serie Elegante Atorresini”.

Stem and handlebars are Cinelli, and all other parts (except wheels) are Campagnolo, including the brakes that are drilled out for further weight saving. I don’t know Campy parts super well, but my sense is they are all the high end of the line.

When I first got this bike it also had Campy wheels with sew-up innertubes, but I’m not that hard core, so replaced them (and the pure leather seat). I’ve also added a Blackburn bike rack on the back.

Weighs 22 lbs with all the little accessories I’ve added (rack, mirror, lock rack, etc…)

what’s it worth? I used to get offers in the thousands when I took it in for routine maintenance at a local bike shop

Likes For jigokudani: