Old 01-08-24, 10:11 AM
digger

Mentioned: 213 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1296 Post(s)
Liked 159 Times in 133 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
I had spent a month cycling Portugal in October did a big circle tour starting in Lisbon. So my advice will be generic in nature. Took the train to Evora to start as cycling out of Lisbon is nothing interesting and can be hectic. I stayed away from the coast as it is very busy and unappealing to myself as I love small towns without a large tourist population. My touring approach is I pick a general direction and find accommodation that interest me at an appropriate distance. Then I build a route on RideWithGPS selecting quiet secondary roads and gravel paths. I found the riding, food and accommodation amazing and people very generous. Stay inland close to the Spanish border you will be amazed at the quiet peaceful roads. Extremely low traffic volumes were the norm and the drivers were courteous. Prices were very reasonable as well. If you enjoy wine what a surprise as the local product was fantastic.

Find towns your wife would like to stay in and ride from point to point from there no more structure required. Yes the N2 can be very busy and the motorcycles were terrible, the only place I did not enjoy the riding was on the N2. Just pick a secondary road and enjoy.
Thank you for the quick response!

I've found some GPX files that take me north to south along the Spanish border:
Vila Nova de Foz Coa to Castelo Branco
Castelo Branco to Evora
Evora to Loule

The only route I do not have is starting at Chaves then going to Vila Nova de Foz Coa, so I had to make that one myself. I've attached an image of 2 possible routes and I'm wondering, if you're familiar with these routes, which one you would think is best?
The blue route runs along N314
The red route runs along N102
I've indicated the towns via a square green box.