mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 479 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 179 Posts
Originally Posted by M Rose
my question is how do I break this mileage up into realistic travel goals. I’m coming from a Overlanding background where we typically cover between 40 and 200 miles a day depending upon terrain and road type.
How much flexibility do you have to delay the exact choices of where you stay each day - until you are on the trip; or adjust afterwards?

You will have some constraints like how many days you are gone, but if you have ability to see how things unfold and adapt to weather, surprises about terrain/route or similar events that might be useful.

When I do longer trips, I don't know exactly where I will stop every night. Instead, I have an overall "budget" of how much time I have and keep track of how well I am doing against that budget. When the time frame gets shorter, say a week, I am a little more constrained. However, often I still try to start each morning with potentially multiple stopping points, "A", "B" or "C". This means I do need to have enough food/water or other things to match those possibilities. It also means I have done some advance planning to know where I might find water or motels or other things. However, unless it is peak season or otherwise constrained, I won't pin down exactly those things with advance reservations.