Old 04-26-21, 01:37 AM
Ataylor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Badger6
Don’t. Your questions were remarkably different (in substance and expectation) than asking about a 30+ pound bike with garbage components looking for affirmation from a bunch of folks who’ve been riding quality bikes for years. D-Fly is NOT a requirement to have Di2, it can enhance the experience, but it isn’t necessary. That’s my opinions.

As for what gear you’re in, I don’t look or care either. I can tell by feel when I am outside my normal cadence range, and I know how to shift the gears to get there based on the salutation (wind, hills up or down, etc.). It’s a “nice to have”, but definitely not necessary for even a moderately experienced rider.
Thanks for understanding and for sharing your view. And yea', I agree. It can definitely enhance a ride. Guess it just boils down to what you have and what you want.

Originally Posted by silverado8405
I find knowing what gear I’m in to be incredibly helpful for going up hills. I have some around me that I know I can do in the big ring and some that need the small ring. Then there’s the times that I forget to pay attention and have to make a decision, do I shift up and get to where I need to be or is there too many jumps and I dump the front to the little ring and keep going. The last case is when I’m going down hill and start to think I’m superman and spinning out the hardest gear only to realize I have a couple more downshifts to go and I’m not going to win the Tour De France thanks to my absolutely awesome power output.

in short, no it’s not needed but there are cases where it may be useful to know some of that information.
Got it. Thank you.