Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6196 Post(s)
Liked 4,810 Times in 3,318 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
Not really. The 'c' goes with '700'. A 700c rim has a diameter of 622mm.
Yes really! You need to read my complete reply. You don't even represent what I said correctly in the way you repeat it.

I take it that the OP got the 622 x 15C from a label or stamp on the rim. So I'll stand by my assertion that it means crochet or hooked rims.

Rims[edit]

ISO 5775-2 defines designations for bicycle rims. It distinguishes between
  • Straight-side (SS) rims
  • Crochet-type (C) rims
  • Hooked-bead (HB) rims
Both crochet (C) and hooked-bead (HB) rims have inner profiles that curve inwards near the outside diameter of the rim to provide a hook that helps retain the tire bead under high pressure. On modern bikes crochet rims are most common and hooked bead rims are rare. The distinction is primarily that hooked-bead rims lack the defined bead seat of straight side and hooked bead rims. The tire is held in position radially by the hook without a bead seat playing a role. Without a bead seat, the primary designation of the diameter in terms of the bead seat is not applicable, and the governing diameter is the OD.

Rims are designated by their nominal rim diameter and their nominal width, separated by a cross (×). Both are measured in millimeters. The rim type codes SS or HB precede the rim designation, whereas code C is appended to the nominal width. Examples:
SS 400×20, HB 422×25, 620×13C
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ISO_57...h%20ISO%205775.

Now if the OP had given that from something stamped on the tire, then you and I may or may not be correct. Some very good tire manufacturers actually state the c is simply a further reference to 700C. However I really doubt that and think their document writers messed up and ask someone that didn't really know. Other tire manufacturers will state that the C after the width on the ISO stamp of their tires means that the tire should only be used on crochet or hooked type rims.

But like the years it took to convince the internet that Otto Titslinger didn't invent the bra, I'm sure this misconstrue will also take some time to sort itself out.

Last edited by Iride01; 09-16-22 at 08:18 AM.