Old 11-15-22, 04:45 AM
cjenrick

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 133 Times in 100 Posts
It don't matter what kind of shoes you wear. The problem is this. If your socks are exposed to moisture, that moisture, with the help of gravity and wicking action, will eventually end up at your toes.

Once your feet get wet your cooked. Because as soon as your feet get wet, they will get cold fast. As soon as they get cold, the body's natural reaction is to shut down blood circulation to keep you from freezing to death. Your blood will get cold if it circulates through cold tissue.

You can wear baggies or seal skins or whatever but if there is a quarter inch of your sock
exposed to moisture, the socks will still get soaked. This is even true if the socks are tucked completely under your tights. Because as soon as your tights get wet, your socks get wet These small details are very important for people who venture out in freezing weather. Extreme caution has to be taken to keep dry for people like Eskimos who are around water and other people who hike in the snow near running water or even puddles. Because once wet, you will need a heated house to get unwet. If no heated house or ability to light a fire, your dead.

What do I do on 50 mile nite rides in the freezing rains of Olympia Wa while out alone? (Who wants to ride in that crap)

I wear light socks. Thick and warm merino socks will cut of your circulation in the toe box. You want to have plenty of space to wiggle your toes around to keep the blood circulating because it is going to want to shut off from the cold. Next, wear a breathable running shoe. Waterproof shoes keep water in just as good as they keep water out. And your feet sweat slot. There are more sweat glands in your feet than any other part of your body.

So light socks, light breathable running shoes, and then I use a DIY gortex shoe cover that goes up to the mid calf area, thus, completely sealing off the shoes and socks. This gortex cover gets tucked underneath the tights.

I have tried everything else, and this is the only system that will keep your feet completely dry on a 3 hour ride in freezing rain.
For extra warmth on those extra harsh days,(32 degrees and sideways rain, I slip a goose down shoe cover on and then on goes the seamless gortex thingy that resembles a small pillow case with leather on the bottom to protect the fabric from the pedals.

I have horrible blood circulation in the extremities and thus a bomber system was required if I were to venture out in dismal conditions.

A showers pass rain jacket and pants are used when it is really coming down. REI fleece gloves along with gortex covers are used under these same conditions. Mitts are a hassle for turning on lights or changing wheels. That's right. I said wheel. Because I don't change tubes and hunt microscopic blackberry thorns in the tire in the middle of the night in freezing rain. I have a rear rack which holds a single speed wheel for which there is a thread on this forum which contains laughter from people who never ride 50 miles alone at night on rural bike paths in freezing downpours. By the time you change a tube and pump up your wheel, your natural 200 watt heater that has been shut down will leave you in a state of semi hypothermia as you try to mount your bike and ride off with your cramped up muscles.

Is my **** together or is my **** together?

Oh yeah don't forget to use a Big Blue AL1300NP diving light because there is nothing else that comes close.

Last edited by cjenrick; 11-15-22 at 05:01 AM.
Likes For cjenrick: