Old 11-29-17, 04:06 PM
getoutside

Bikes: Old Sears 10 speed

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wrk101
With the exception of just a couple of bikes like the 531 Ted Williams model, no one really wants old Sears bike. Its the Walmart bike of that era. Would make a good college campus bike. $20 sounds about right value wise, but if it needs a lot of work, could be no value. Easy to get upside down fixing bikes like this (spend more than bike is worth). Now if it just needs some lubrication, good deal.

Even new tires could put you upside down. Around here, the co-op sells good used tires cheap. That would be the route I would take if I was fixing it up. Paying a bike shop to do repairs and you will be over its value for sure!

If it gets you out and exercising, then $20 is a smoking hot deal. Tires, brake pads, cables, chain, bearings and grease are common maintenance needs on neglected bikes.

For people that just want some exercise and are new to bikes, I routinely recommend a bike shop branded vintage rigid frame mountain bike (MTB). These MTBs will have better wheels, better brakes, easier gearing, take standard parts, and are usually very affordable. My own "go to" bike is a vintage MTB I picked up at a garage sale for $15. Sure it was scraped up, and needed some love, but underneath all that was a pretty decent bike. All the expensive bikes I own, this $15 is the one I take out the most.
This is neither the Ted Williams or the Puch as far as I can tell. It is however in excellent condition. We spent a little time getting the cobwebs off (literally) and cleaning it off, then aired up the tires, greased and manipulated the derailleur and it was ready to go. My husband's 20-ish year old "cutting edge bitd" Cannondale racing bike didn't fare so well; we had to spend $75 bux on new tires and tubes to get it up to snuff. We took them out yesterday for about 12 miles. Since I have never actually ridden a "good" bike, this one seemed just fine! I'm not very good at shifting, and so far my 10 speed has just been a 3 speed for me, LOL! I will keep in mind the rigid frame MTB. This one was just for me to get my feet wet and see if I actually wanted to do the bike thing. The only things it looks like I will need to spend any money on, I would need anyway - like helmet, lock, etc.