Old 12-21-17, 02:43 AM
Cykilist2

Bikes: a cannondale & a trek

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Riding on O'ahu-- It's current situation

I am a recent transplant from San Diego. I rode 200+ miles a week there, including a number of 100+ one sitting rides.

I moved to O'ahu back in July.

The most I've ridden since then is 180miles. That was one of the first weeks there, before I realized how bad of a biking infrastructure they have here.
Shortly after getting here, I visited the HBL (Hawai'i Bicycle League). They're hard to find. But after circling around on Wai'alae and 9th, I found them in a second floor loft, carrying my bike up a flight of stairs.. (It's worth the effort!) I talked to a number of their staff. I got some info on the some of the ways to get around, including getting a map of the island. I talked to their action guy, gave him my information, told him that I was interested in being involved for a better biking experience, but to this day, I have never heard from him. I think that typifies most advocacy groups running on a shoestring....

The best way to figure things out is to map out your own rides, talk to some local riders (at an LBS) look at google maps, and then choose roads, you hope are safe enough to get around on without getting run over, and join a few group rides

So, from my perspective, riding in Honolulu is a challenge. The street structure reminds me of LA conditions (the main boulevards), meaning, no space for anything other than a car. So, I go for secondary streets. I mentioned I live in on the west end of Waikiki. In order to get anywhere, I have to navigate busy streets to get out of there.. So, I start early (between 5 and 6am), either shooting down Kalakaua, if I want to do the Diamond Head Loop, on the way to coffee in Manoa, or doing the loop out to the Makapu'u Lighthouse, either going by way of Lunalillo Home rd, or taking a risk (again, I travel these roads before sunup), Kalaniana'ole Hwy, by Hanauma Bay. That section of road is narrow, along the ocean front. I'm lit up, and take the lane whenever possible there. No incidents so far. If I go up Lunalillo Home to Hawai'i Kai, I can turn left into a neighborhood, a left, right, and am on a road on the way to a private development that has an open gate. You can't drive through, but peds and bikes can. Otherwise, you don't go as far on Lunalillo Home rd, and make a left on Wailua., which will bring you to a left on Hawai'i Kai. Continue on that, with a right, going around a hump, then another right following the "bus only" route on Kawaihae St, which will bring you back to Kalaniana'ole Hwy, which will scoot you back to where H1 starts.

closer in town:
There are bike lanes on Beretania, but it ends abruptly at Punchbowl
S. King is an adventure. It's a one way street for most of it's stretch, but has a two way bike lane for most of it. So, motorists making left turns onto other streets, have to look for bikes & Peds going both directions. Sometimes, they don't. I've had more close calls on this street than any other, which means I spend some time on Young st, which is the next street up. If you value your life, think twice before using King at all.

* Some fun ridges, to do on the way back on Kalaniana'ole Ewa direction

* Then about ridges and diversions along Wai'alae rd, on my way to coffee in Manoa.

* Tantalus, and some fun climbing loops, nearby. Booth Rd & Pacific Heights.

* A safe route to get to Chinatown (I avoid S. King when possible)

* Pali Loop

* Aiea Heights & Alewa drive (You make a right off of Mahalo rd, off of Judd)