DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4338 Post(s)
Liked 2,981 Times in 1,617 Posts
Originally Posted by curbtender
I think those pylons were set more to protect the canal trail crowd than for bike commuters. I've seen cars use those lanes turning into Countrywood center. Gives peds/cyclist a buffer at the light.
Well if that was the intent, it was a ridiculous execution. The pylons on the southeast-bound side are before the trail crossing, and end right after the trail. Just the opposite for the pylons on the northwest-bound side.
Keeping cars out of the bike lane is a fine idea near where cars want to get past stopped traffic into a turn lane or something, but that is not the case here.

It looks like the real intent was to prevent bikes from making left turns from the bike lane onto the trail by merging into traffic (which is the correct way to do it)... ie by making them turn right onto the trail, push the button, and then cross the road with the trail crossing green light. I can see why a traffic engineer thinks that's safer, but there's nothing explaining that to the riders. Also, the pylons make it dangerous for bikes in the bike lane because there is one less option for emergency maneuver... like if somebody crashes in front of you.

Last edited by DiabloScott; 04-20-22 at 03:18 PM.