Old 02-12-22, 04:36 PM
Salubrious

Bikes: Too many 3-speeds, Jones Plus LWB

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
I can tell you what I did using the parts shown above in post 25708 and following @cudak888’s advice:

—You just need to create a soldered end on the caliper side of the cable, so I clipped off the barrel I didn’t need from that Clark’s cable and sized it with the old cable (which isn’t as easy as it sounds; I made it too long my first try).
—I put the cable stop in my vise and used a small binder clip to hold the cable in place while I soldered.
—I lightly sanded the cable end, cleaned it off with an alcohol pad, slipped on a motorcycle throttle cable nipple ( https://www.ebay.com/itm/MOTORCYCLE-...-/132337628007) with the wide end just about flush with the cable end, and then fluxed the heck out of the cable and nipple.
—I heated the whole thing up with my soldering iron until the flux was smoking and sizzling and than applied a small amount of solder to the cable just above the nipple and then a bit more at the wide side of the nipple to form a dome. I practiced this technique first on some scrap cable to get a feel for how much solder was needed (you don’t need much).
—I cleaned up the new barrel end with a few strokes of a file to make it uniform.

I’ll recreate with some pics over the weekend.
Its a good idea to clean the cable and treat it with flux as well. This should be done after the bit on the end has been fished onto the cable.

After the cable is prepped, its helpful to bend the individual strands over so they will not easily pull through the cable end. This way when you solder it up, it will be able to withstand greater tension.
Likes For Salubrious: