View Single Post
Old 02-13-22, 11:24 AM
swampyankee2

Bikes: '08 Specialized Sirrus, '92 Trek 820, '72 Raleigh Sports, 60? Fongers single speed, '72 Dawes Galaxy, '67 Robin Hood Lenton Sports

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 96 Posts
I hate to double post but I didn't realize a dedicated thread existed so I thought I'd repost it in the appropriate place:
When we were cleaning out our new-to-us house I dragged an old Raleigh Sports out of the cellar. Its's a '72 by the hub date. I could've chucked in the bin with the rest of the junk but I thought it hasn't seen the light of day for probably 40 years, it needs a new life. The plan would be to get a rack for it and use it as a country tourer. The youtuber Velocipedia is my inspiration.

The chrome is pretty rusted, the double whitewall tires are shot, and it'll need some cables. The paint has some rust freckles, but with an oily rag polish it will look ok going down the road. The best part is, it has a nice Brooks leather saddle that cleaned up well.
Perusing the local ads, I found a womans' Robin Hood 3 speed for $25. The chrome looks good on it so I'm hoping it'll make a good donor bike.
I'll still need to source some cables, and I'd really like some nice gumwall tires. Where's a good online source for new parts and tires for these bikes.