View Single Post
Old 05-24-23, 05:15 PM
GhostRider62

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2333 Post(s)
Liked 2,097 Times in 1,314 Posts
Originally Posted by Broctoon
Years ago I was riding with two friends (both of them better riders than me), slowly grinding up a three mile canyon road with an average grade of 8%. One friend, who is powerful but a bit stocky, said to the other, "I wish I had your heart and lungs." He replied, "I wish I had your legs." I told them, "If I had his heart and lungs, your legs, and my build, I'd be world class!" All I have going for me are a thin build and easy ability to maintain 160 lbs.
Ya, about 40 years ago on a training ride while out to watch the World Road Championships, I was riding up a long somewhat shallow 4-5% climb and the Italian Team comes by like they were walking and chatting in the park with the hands flying, it made me sad how slow I was in comparison until they waved me onto their wheels. Very humbling, sort of like today when I was playing pickup hockey practice and two college players and a pro were doing sprints at the end, the youngest kid who is always very nice to me says, "you want to race with us?"....disheartening to say the least, they were at the goaline and I wasn't to the top of the faceoff circle (No, not center ice, haha). There is always someone faster but everyone is faster than me now.

Back to Larry, a TT vs aero road bike differential is about 10% of what getting old does to your speed. I would def get the aero road and would get the one with the most compliant seatpost.