Thread: Birdy thread
View Single Post
Old 10-28-08, 03:37 PM
msincredible
crazy bike girl

Bikes: '07 Orbea Onix, '07 Birdy Yellow, '06 Cannondale Bad Boy (stolen)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Partial repost from NorCal:

I rode my Birdy up Page Mill today!
http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path...y-scenic-hilly

Oh, and yes, I was creaking, whistling and rattling the whole way.

Descending through the twisties, I had a new sound...then I realized I was scraping the little chain guard on sharp right-handers.

And on a straight descent (probably going 25-30) I tried again no-handed, no issues (I did keep my hands close to the bars just in case).

Plus, had a couple of entertaining encounters on the way home...

First was on Alameda de las Pulgas. Some guy on a road bike passed me, working hard. Once he felt he had gotten far enough ahead, he sat up and relaxed. Well, we got to a bit of a hill, and I was able to make up the difference. He didn't notice until I was right on his ass, then he looked back, saw me, and stood up to mash up the rest of the little hill. Unfortunately for me it leveled out, I can't keep up on flat ground.
Guess he didn't like the idea of being passed by a girl on a clown bike.

Then by El Camino, met a woman on a comfort bike and had an interesting conversation as we waited for the light:
Her: That's a really cool-looking bike!
Me: Thanks!
Her (dead serious): Is that a road-racing bike?
Me: Um, no, it's a folding bike.
Her: A what?
Me: Folding. It folds up, small (made some hand motions to illustrate).
Her: You have got to be kidding me!!! So you can take it on the bus???

I was having a hard time holding back the laughter...I mean, I can't think of too many bikes that look farther from a road-racing bike.