View Single Post
Old 08-21-19, 07:46 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Another vote for the poncho, especially when used with fenders. I've spent whole rainy days mostly comfortable and dry with that combination. In fact, I spent a couple of hours in a park in France installing fenders on my Batavus (in the rain) so that my poncho would keep me dry all over and not let me get soaked from below. I started out with an olive drab Boy Scout unit, fairly lightish, but when that one began falling apart I got a plastic Stearns brand one from W mart and that also worked. I've been meaning to trim the backside to reduce flappage; I would cut the square shaped back into a U and probably rig a belt glued to the inside of the back so it stays close in. Just hang the front over the brake levers and your handlebar bag.

I also have a Burley rain cape that is nice but is cut a little close to be completely comfortable.

I do not use the poncho's hood when riding, relying instead on a waterproof helmet cover that is less likely to obstruct peripheral vision.

Last edited by thumpism; 08-21-19 at 07:50 PM.