View Single Post
Old 06-19-20, 07:28 AM
Artmo 

Bikes: '06 Bianchi Pista; '57 Maclean; '10 Scott CR1 Pro; 2005 Trek 2000 Tandem; '09 Comotion Macchiato Tandem; 199? Novara Road; '17 Circe Helios e-tandem:1994 Trek 2300

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 147 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 60 Posts
Richard C- if it’s any consolation, I have gone though all your experiences, ranging from scared, to simply frustrated, because through all these years, I have never felt really bad, but when I went into afib, I lost energy. As I mentioned earlier, I have had all the treatments with varying degrees of temporary success and now I have a pacemaker, which was inserted a a couple of years ago, not for afib, but because my resting HR went to 34 and my heart was pausing for up to 10 sec.Since having the pacemaker, I have had few afib episodes, although this is an added benefit of keeping my resting HR at 60. (I am well into my 79th year). My pacemaker transmits data to the heart clinic, so they can see what is going on. I take Eliquis, which, like Xarelto, is very important if you have afib and are over 75, as the risk of stroke increases at that age.Beware of false HRM readings: I have never had success with the Garmin chest straps. I think it must be something to do with my skin, although I use electrolyte gel. Recently I bought a Bluetooth strap and thought this would fix things. Well, at least it stayed on, but I was getting Intermittent HR which randomly increased slowly to over 150 with little exertion. When I asked my heart center to check the readings from my pacemaker, they found no erratic behavior. So much for the new strap!
In summary, don’t obsess about the arrhythmia; if you feel OK, ride, but if you feel weak or dizzy slow down or stop. It’s frustrating, I know. If the episodes last more than 48 hours, see your cardiologist and ask for a cardioversion. If there is no underlying heart defect, like ischemia, there’s probably no need to worry.
Good luck and try not to worry, as stress can bring on afib, even when you are sitting around.

Last edited by Artmo; 06-19-20 at 07:31 AM. Reason: Correction