Old 03-13-18, 11:36 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by MrMinty
I'm just getting into sprinting and have done 2 sets of efforts.

On the first set, I was using a 106" gear (on the advice of a friend) which was way too high. By the time I was going for the actual effort, my legs were popped. Added to that, my line was all off. Appreciated that a F200 is much more of a technical event than first thought. Fastest time on this session was 14.997

Second session, I had a teammate show me the proper lines and give me a couple of tips. Dropped my gearing to 99.7 and it made such a difference. Fastest time was 13.548 (and second fastest was 13.549!) so ~1.5 secs quicker. Did also try a 91" but that was a bit slower (wind up was easier, but just couldn't hit that top end)

Next goal is under 12. I have some Deda Pista bars on order, which will replace the bog standard road style bars, and some toe straps
You can probably do a 12.7 on a 94" gear...today.

There are a lot of factors involved in a Flying 200, as you have noted and read.

One overlooked thing is how to practice Flying 200s.

"Duh...just do Flying 200s, idiot." hahaha no.

That's like trying to get better at The Kilo (tm) by doing Kilos all day. 1) You can only do so many. 2) After the 1st (or 2nd, if you are fit), any kilo after that is junk.

You should understand how Flying 100s relate to Flying 200s. Your top speed and split time for a flying 100 is directly related to your top speed and total time for a flying 200...and the 100 costs maybe 2/3 what the 200 costs you.

So, if you practice flying 100s and take note of top speed (using a $25 computer) and split times, then you can judge your progress and do more efforts in a training session to determine what is working and what is not

Note: Top speed isn't the end-all be-all metric. Your average speed is. Meaning, your split time. But, it's often difficult for regular Joe athletes to have someone time all of their efforts. So, noting and logging top speed is an easy and effective way to track progress.

Last edited by carleton; 03-13-18 at 11:39 AM.