View Single Post
Old 07-07-19, 05:59 PM
radroad

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Biker395
Me too. It looks like I might get a chance to do some riding in Europe this year, and by the wonder of e-bikes, my SO might actually go along and ride with me.

But the analogies offered here are nonsense. Exhibit 1: <removing those that are utterly irrelevant to cycling>

I'm not sure what is meant by "cheating" here, but none of those items involves supplementing human power with a motor. Huge difference.
A bicycle supplements human power by providing the rotational inertia of two wheels. An e-bicycle supplements human power even more with a motor. Simple.

Originally Posted by Biker395
And as for this:

You could have bought a bike with narrower tires, a suspension, drop bars, aero bars, aero wheels, and yes, you could have shaved your legs. But you didn't. You bought an ebike because it had a motor that adds energy to the bike, not simply make best use of your own human energy.

There's no hypocrisy, ignorance or arrogance in making the choice to buy to buy one and arguing again and again that there is no fundamental difference between the two?

I have no dog in the e-bike fight and will probably avail my SO to the use of one in the near future. Who knows ... maybe I'll avail myself to one as well. But when I do, hopefully, I'll be self-confident enough to accept my decision for what it is, not pretend that is analogous to adding lower gears or higher pressure tires. It defies even a basic understanding of physics and is just not true, no matter now many times it is repeated.
Fail again, buddy. You will travel at a far faster speed on a bicycle than you would walking with the same level of effort. A bicycle without a motor "adds energy" through rotational inertia. You can stick your head in the sand all you want to, though.

A bicycle with a motor "adds energy" in addition to rotational inertia. If you are opposed to any technology that "adds energy" stop riding a bicycle.

Stop using any technology that "adds energy" then. They're all the tools of Satan. Just crawl back into a cave and paint on the walls.