View Single Post
Old 07-08-19, 06:29 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
OK, This is my LAST post on here, unless someone asks a specific Q directed at me... Before I get …

My "theory IS" already out there...

Walking for 10 Hrs; an average person goes 50Kms (100% human powered).

Riding a single speed for 10 Hrs and the same person gets 100Kms (100% human powered).

Riding a 27 speed for 10 Hrs and the same person gets 200KMs (100% human powered).

What IS the "difference"...??? It's still all 100% human powered, right.?

It;s efficiency... ??? at least I think so...

So, the "reason a person can go from 50Kms in a 10 Hr day walking, to 100Kms in a 10 Hr day is that the bicycle has wheels"... a mechanical assistant/advantage...
So, the "reason a person can go from 100Kms in a 10 Hr day to 200 KMs in a 10 Hr day on a 27 speed bicycle is the gearing on a bicycle"... a mechanical assistant/advantage...

We went from 50KM a 10 Hr day to 200Kms a 10Hr day, all human powered, (with some mechanical advantage's thrown in there)... WOW... NOT cheating the (IT takes a certain amount of effort to do a certain amount of work, physics 101) at all...

Now, we come to the infamous E-Bike... In my case I would go from...

50Kms walking, to 120Kms riding a single speed, to 220Kms riding a 27 speed... a 20Km (motor) advantage on either bicycle, a single speed or a 27 speed... What is actually more advantageous to have to go farther easier than walking...??? a single speed YES, or a 27 speed YES, on a bicycle that can move you 2X farther or 4X farther than walking, and yes another 20Kms on top of those numbers IS EVEN BETTER... BUT that 20KMs IS a MOTOR, Bad, very bad, but it's NOT bad to use a (mechanical advantage)...

"IF" I was to ride my E-Assist as a moped and use the throttle and NOT pedal, I would get 20Kms in TOTAL, on a charge, probably not make it up any hill more than 3% as 350 watts hub motor just doesn't do it by itself, as it doesn't go thru the gearing, it's a hub motor without gears, I suspect if it did have gears and/or did go through the gearing like a mid-drive it would make it up on it's own on pretty well any hill. But the way it is right now, an EU Legal hub motor set up, I GOT"S to pedal... BUT guess what, In the US Legal E-Bike setting 750 Watts, I would not need to pedal anywhere... and perhaps those are the E-Bikes that most who are against E-Bikes on here are thinking about...

Last edited by 350htrr; 07-12-19 at 10:26 AM.