Thread: Why cruiser?
View Single Post
Old 01-06-21, 11:20 AM
Sorcerer

Location: '16 StumpJ, Salsa Mukluk, Soulcycles SS, Dean Colonel HT, BMC FourstrokeTrail, Dean Torres CX, Santana Visa Tandem, Trek T2000 Tandem, Cupertino MTB Tandem, FreeAgent26"Xtracycle, Dirt Drop Dingle, Jamis Dragon Dingle, Airborne Skyhag SS, SSDean Cols
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 61 Posts
Thank you for this thread.

I have to admit, I've never been inclined to ride or own a cruiser bike. But I realize that's my loss.

Cruising, for lack of a better term, represents a kind of relaxed and unpretentious form of local practical cycling.

You need elbow room to cruise. They aren't very good for climbing long steep hills. You simply have to get off and walk.

It takes a great deal of space to store a cruiser leaning on a kick-stand. Plus they are pretty heavy and the idea of hanging them up doesn't go along with the cruising attitude, I mean, the idea of enjoying a cruise and then having to store or park the bike. In some urban setting there's not much storage space. I envision the cruiser just being left somewhere with a plastic covered chain around the front wheel and frame in an ideal suburban situation.

Now I'm really interested.

Since I seem to have divorced myself from triple ring bikes in 2020, and am getting more mature and older, the relaxed notion of cruising a beach cliff bike path towards the random joys of chatting with tourists, hanging out in coffee shops, to laying on a beach by the sea or a lake with a beach towel, and stopping by a brewery, sounds so wonderful during this pandemic and winter.

I could see that just by looking at a cruising bicycle I could invoke an invitation to a panoply of romantic scenarios which would definitely include bikini's and flip-flops, straw hats and snorkeling gear. Just that in itself is beautiful.

Compared to taking a look at one of my mountain bikes, that's just incredible. One look at one of my single speed bikes and I see maximum torque, gnarly descents, all-day epics, mountain top vistas for miles, simple durability and self sufficiency, and small groups and solitary rides, being immersed in nature and possibly consumed by it, and danger.

The cruiser, bubble gum, Hollywood movies, flirting, smiles and giggles, the smell of suntan lotion, and coconut oil.
Likes For Sorcerer: