Old 08-16-21, 01:46 PM
pbass

Bikes: 2016 Surly Cross Check, 2019 Kona Rove ST

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 284 Post(s)
Liked 313 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by jonathanf2
I belonged to a Los Angeles neighborhood FB group and they were discussing a transportation proposal (which seemed to have a vocal opposition) that would reduce car lanes, expand outdoor dining tables/seating due to the pandemic and create safety barricades for the bike lanes. When I mentioned that perhaps creating safety barricades for the bike lanes might be a good idea and businesses can tailor to the growing bike market especially if there was more outdoor seating (especially with increased e-bikes sales), it was met with scorn, with one person comparing the current bike boom to a fad similar to disco. What's sad is that our neighborhood is a main bike route corridor connecting east-to-west and there are weekly group bike rides coming through the area.

On a side note, ever since I started biking more, my gym strength training has benefited by becoming more lean, losing excess weight and even looking more chiseled. My skin feels healthier from sweating out toxins, getting exposure to fresh air and just enjoying the California sunshine!
It's frustrating in many parts of LA---it could be great for getting around on a bike. I'm over in Glendale--I find it very sketchy to ride in an urban capacity around here (which is why I head to the dirt). I'd love to use a bike in a more utilitarian fashion for errands and whatnot too, but there's almost never a safe place to lock up even a beater. So, I hop in the damn car to go run errands I could easily do by bike.
Funny, I was in NYC 2 weeks ago, and in some ways it's better there than in Los Angeles.