Old 06-24-22, 02:53 PM
jeneralist 

Bikes: DOST Kope CVT e-bike; Bilenky Ti Tourlite

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 23 Posts
2022 Tour: E-bike Adventures on the Erie Canal Trail

Some here on the E-bike section may remember me from the Clydes & Athenas group, where I was active for many years. Starting in 2010, I posted about a summer bike tour annually:and then nothing.

Leaving aside uncomfortable medical details, what happened was I got sick; and as part of getting sick, my knees don’t handle some kinds of work any more. Walking is fine, but climbing stairs is rough. It took me a while to find that e-bikes worked for me (especially with a cadence sensor rather than a torque sensor), and then longer yet to trust myself with distance. But this year I had an urge for one of my old-style tours, and set out to see what I could manage.

Upshot being, I just got back from the Erie Canal Trail. I started in Buffalo NY and headed eastward. This is the first of a series of posts about the trip, but if this is the only one you read, here’s the TL;DR: Be sure that your ebike will carry you and your gear 60 miles in a day before attempting the Erie Canal Trail. Otherwise, you will have problems finding places to stay and recharge overnight.