Old 05-28-23, 07:06 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
I've had a procedure where the hospital insists on a personal contact of mine to drive me home (I guess hospital assumes I'd be too loopy to navigate Uber or taxi - you know how hospitals can seem overly cautious). Hospital calls my contact before procedure to make sure ready and available. So maybe check with hospital and see if they'll allow Uber/Lyft ride home.

Other times I just take Uber. I think Lyft is equivalent to Uber but I use Uber. I usually tip 20% if all goes well with the ride (still cheaper than taxi usually). If you're new to Uber/Lyft, install it on your phone and take a practice ride.

Originally Posted by fat biker
Greetings All,

I have several surgeries fast approaching and will be unable to drive my car, ride my bike or walk very far.

I have local friends, who, under better circumstances I could call on for a ride in a pinch. As fate would have it, some of these same friends are experiencing challenges of their own.

I have available rides to and from medical appointments as an insurance benefit. This service has been less than reliable.
Boy Scouts taught me to Be Prepared. Having backup transportation as near as my phone would be smart.

Then, the questions...

Uber?
Lyft?
Other, SF Bay Area - quick search gave a bunch of names I had never heard of.
Any gotchas I need to be aware of?
The internet suggests tipping 10-20% is appropriate, big enough tip?
Anything else I should have asked?
Any other advice you can offer?

Thank You All,
fat biker
Likes For tyrion: