Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by fat biker
Surgery #1, left hip replacement
Surgery #2, cataract, left eye
Surgery #3, right hip replacement

I will likely not be able to drive for a month after the hips and there will be considerable physical therapy.

fat biker
Those hip replacements should be done in hospital with overnight stays, at a minimum, followed by discharge to a qualified physical therapy rehab center. I've never heard of a hip replacement on someone age 60 or older being done as day surgery with discharge to home. That would be incredibly irresponsible of the medical and insurance provider.

Before I got older, I was caregiver for two grandparents and my mom. I accompanied them to almost all medical appointments. Their joint replacement surgeries -- knees, shoulders, hips -- were always done in hospital with at least one overnight stay. In some cases they were discharged to home only because I was there to assist them, including with physical therapy. In some cases they were discharged to a rehab center for a few days or longer, since special lifting apparatus was necessary to move them safely.

It's effectively a denial of health care coverage to require patients to jump through hoops for the convenience and economy of the insurance carriers.