Old 06-01-23, 09:51 AM
gobicycling
Made it to 84 WHOOPIE

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 493 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by Leisesturm
I don't know about all this. My wife is blind, but otherwise very, very independent. Still it has freaked several Uber and Lyft drivers completely out because they have to get out of their car and guide her to its door. Or get out of the car and guide her to the door of her destination. She gets bad ratings (not an issue for the o.p. but a huge issue for someone who needs open ended service) that she has to contest with Lyft otherwise future drivers may not accept her for rides. Given the variability of experiences, the o.p. must not, and cannot, leave themselves at the mercy of a rideshare service when they have just had a hip replaced.

There is another way. I don't know what it is, but I know that there is. It probably starts with explaining the situation to the hospital! They may have volunteers on staff that can accompany the o.p. home. When I had significant eye surgery that required my being put under for three hours, a volunteer kept my wife company, and helped her get around the hospital and to a meal while it happened. We stayed in a motel near the hospital and as it happened there were some very important post-op drops and dressings that HAD to be performed on a strict schedule and I was in so much pain and woozy from medication that I was unable to do them and she couldn't help me and a doctor from the hospital came to our hotel and helped us! Totally above and beyond the call of duty.

The o.p. is thinking only of transportation. Transportation is the least of it. The o.p.will need help. Support when they will be fragile and vulnerable. That is not Uber's or Lyft's responsibility and might possibly be beyond their ability. So, in this case, being prepared means laying in the support they will need ahead of time. Good luck.
Check with your county aging services or Senior services. Ours has a multitude of services they will provide. This includes transportation homemaking and a variety of other free support services. It's worth a shot. And the important thing is it's not just getting home it's not understanding that you are still under the influence of an anesthesia for at least 24 hours and you need someone there for safety and medications etc. Also check out your local Senior center. Good luck

Last edited by gobicycling; 06-01-23 at 09:55 AM.