canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4560 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Originally Posted by GhostRider62
The test injections are painless. Why do you need a driver?

I've had the RF ablation w/o anaesthesia although I do accept it now because it freaks the neuro out (pain doc).

The test injection feels like a mosquito bite, call another medical factory.
My thoughts as well. The ortho doc at the clinic I was originally assigned to suggested the same thing.

A few years ago at the same clinic I had injections of anti-inflammatories deep in the muscle tissue for my injured shoulder. No need for any topical or subcutaneous anesthetic. I think the doc asked if I wanted it and I said nope.

Same with colonoscopies. The clinic won't do it without anesthesia and the same requirement for family or friend to accompany me throughout, including waiting in the lobby during the procedure. But my last colonoscopies were during the 1990s -- day clinic, no anesthesia, drove myself there and back home. No problems. It was a little uncomfortable but nothing bad enough to need anesthesia.

I'm not a fan of unnecessary and avoidable pain, but anyone who's played sports or engaged in athletic activities seriously, long enough, amateur or pro, has already experienced much worse pain from injuries than anything we'll feel from a few injections. When I was hit by a car five years ago, breaking and dislocating my shoulder, the ambulance crew offered fentanyl. I declined because the ER was less than five minutes away. The ER offered morphine. I declined and just asked for a single hydrocodone or tramadol. I knew the pain would kick in a couple of hours after the injury, but I also knew from my many previous injury that my body seldom experiences serious pain immediately from injuries. The next day, sure. The next week or so, oh, yeah. But the worst immediate pain I've experienced was from cracked ribs, which didn't occur during this particular collision.

Long-term chronic pain has been a problem, due to many injuries, age and arthritis. And lifelong migraines, cluster headaches or trigeminal neuralgia -- my neurologists never agree on what it is. Those are by far the worst pain I've ever experienced. But I'm fortunate to rarely experience severe pain immediately from injuries.